Friday

Hall's Jewel Tea "Teacup & Yellow Rose" Still Life Oil Painting 5"x7" canvas panel. A work in progress no longer..... DONE! Not for sale at present.

Finished!!!!

Rose just beginning to "breathe." Now the detail work will continue on the background / saucer / cup / rose / tones, values & hues adjusted.


Still establishing shadows & color blocking in preparation for detailed work ahead. As this little painting nears completion, I am anxiously looking forward to bringing the rose to life. There's lots more to be done!

I paint directly over my sketch.... the real fun begins now.

Third Session: After third turp/wash (this time Burnt Umber) I wipe the canvas very lightly with a kimwipe to remove just a little paint from the highest points of the cloth. Then I lightly apply payne's gray straight from the tube to establish the shadows. The background is ready for detail but after drying.... so now I move on to the teacup & saucer / rose.


Second Session: Closeup of the actual porcelain tile of the countertop in my reference image for this painting. See how using turpentine washes in layers (letting each completely dry before applying another) utilizes the canvas to develop a stipple pattern needed to duplicate the tile. Here I have only added two washes thus far (payne's gray + burnt umber) and will continue until satisfied w/results.

This charming deep yellow flower is "Graham Thomas" English Rose. The teacup & saucer are in an antique china pattern called "Autumn Leaf" by Hall.

Working from a photo I have taken....
First Session: I did a quick placement (I call a dot'n dash) then using these reference points sketched the flower, cup & saucer followed by color blocking an underpainting. A quick turp wash of the background and this little painting begins. In the next painting session I will complete the background before proceeding on the subjects.
Carolyn Hietala

9 Comments:

Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Lovely!

I like seeing the progression!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Carolyn Hietala said...

Thanks Mary ;0)

I have always appreciated when an artist has shown how they arrived at the completed painting. Such fun and makes you feel not only a part of the process but..... Hey I could do that!

When any task is broken down into steps it no longer appears insurmountable.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Tahirih Goffic said...

Your finished works are so beautifully detailed, so lifelike. I really like how you break it down so I can see the progress. It gives me an idea of how other painters work, and helps me progress in my own work.
Thank you.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Carolyn Hietala said...

Tahirih thanks,

Beautiful paintings on your blog!..... I wish you the best in all you do ;0)

5:29 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

what a fabulous work in progress and the results are fantastic - your piece is lovely!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Marilyn M. King said...

Your strong compositions are evident in all of your work. I really like your decision to crop this piece on the left of the image. I still struggle with having the "courage to do that". It's not a way of seeing that comes natural, but makes for a very interesting image.

Marilyn King

12:38 AM  
Blogger Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Hi Carolyn, I was Googleing Ginter Gardens, (images), & I stumbled upon a picture of the Cottage there that you had posted. And then, I found myself reading all your bloggy's.I am so glad I did. I live in Richmond too. I graduated from VCU, in 1984, BFA.
Your paintings are wonderful. I especially love the subjects that you choose.Anyway, thought I would say "Hi", I did add you to my blog links, hope you don't mind.Amy

11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Carolyn, thank you for the step by steps, they're very instructive, I'll take note.
Your work is just beautiful....I was happy to see you are close to me. I live in the Hampton Roads area.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Cheryl Quist said...

thanks so much for visiting my blog!
WOW, am I ever glad you did... it brought me to yours. What a beautiful rose set up - I love painting dishes. I enjoyed reading through your steps and I'll keep an eye on this one from now on.
Happy Painting!

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home