Thursday

Here's a small 4"x4" oil painting on stretched canvas.... "Plum Delicious & Hanky" (click here for purchase information)

I call this one finished! It is my first still life painted with very dark shadows and am looking forward to doing more like it. The appearance is very "Rich" and will show even more depth & drama after varnishing. My Dad would be pleased to see his hanky included ;0)

I have done a quick color blocking on the handkerchief and now detail can begin.

I have decided to add my Dad's vintage cotton handkerchief to the composition and used a detail brush to sketch it in with titantium white. Dad loved plums and was never without a handkerchief in his pocket.

Now I begin on the background deciding upon on a dramatic effect using deep shadows to show off this subject.

This is the beginning of a miniature painting done in photo realism style. Now it will dry before a background along with more glazes and details are applied. Plum delicious already ;0)
Update: Have to buy a replacement plum before I can complete.... gone but not forgotten!

Carolyn Hietala

5 Comments:

Blogger carol 2002 said...

Beautiful, truly remarkable
:)
Good luck

9:49 AM  
Blogger Carolyn Hietala said...

Thanks Carol!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I love these series where you can see the progress.

I liked the spotted salamander too--I wrote a novel (as yet unpublished, not done editing) about a herpetologist featuring among other things an April search for spotted salamanders.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

This is really cool! I love the hanky!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Carolyn Hietala said...

Mary you are so talented... I hope you post where to find your book :0)
The salamander had to relocated to the Nature Center at Maymont here in Richmond as its habitat was being destroyed due to construction. It was really chubby!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home